Social Justice Resources
Social justice is a guiding value of NCDA and co-exists with career development practice. NCDA encourages all members to respond to the recent calls to action to learn and unlearn, to take action in allyship and advocacy movements and in anti-racism efforts.
This page will be updated often with resources, reading and research that supports these efforts.
NCDA Response to Racially Motivated Violence
We condemn racially-motivated violence against BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) communities. We acknowledge the trauma of racism and oppression at systemic, community and individual levels. We stand with our fellow organization the American Counseling Association, and with so many other people and organizations that condemn historic, pervasive hate and violence. We are answering the recent calls to action in social justice. We are working to both increase diversity in our organization and promote social justice in our field.
- Exploring the themes of Promoting Social Justice in Career Practice and Increasing Diversity during our 2020 Virtual Conference
- Sharing allyship resources, in collaboration with our Diversity Initiatives and Cultural Inclusion Committee
- Working to diversify leadership in our organization
- Re-examining the strategic plan and strengthening diversity, inclusion and equity (DEI) initiatives
- Creating safety at events for marginalized groups, like gender neutral restrooms and spaces for Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) and LGBTQI2S+ members (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning, Intersex and Two-Spirit)
- Sharing existing webinars at no cost to view, like our newest webinar “DEI and Career Development” and “Helping Clients Cope with Bias”. Both webinars provide actions practitioners can take to help make meaningful change, and resources for use with clients
- Sharing resources and support from our cousin organizations, like Counselors for Social Justice
- Sourcing new social justice resources to share
- Helping Clients Cope with Bias During the Job Search Process - webinar presented by Lakeisha Mathews
- DEI + Career Development: How Are We Incorporating Diversity, Equity and Inclusion into Career Services During COVID-19 - webinar presented by: Members of the NCDA Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- "Career Work is Justice Work" - DIVE In: A Podcast for Career Development Professionals with Dr. Brian Hutchison
- Career Work Is Justice Work -NCDA Career Practitioner Institute presentation powerpoint slides
- Resources for Partnering with International Students - a members-only list which explores multicultural counseling competencies, programming and career services development, assessment implications, and employment search. Also included is a list of self-guided websites and books to provide directly to the International student.
- Career Convergence web magazine articles, particularly the July 2020 issue, which covers many social justice issues
- Watch for a new book from NCDA! “Gaining Cultural Competence in Career Counseling” 2nd edition (Evans & Sejuit, 2021)