Government Relations & Public Policy
NCDA established its first legislative agenda during the 2008 annual Global Conference in Washington, DC. Since then, NCDA has made public policy an important cornerstone of its work, as described in NCDA's Philosophy on Public Policy: Advocating for Career Development. NCDA is represented in Washington, DC by the Government Relations Committee. The Committee’s members represent NCDA’s diverse membership. Its goal is to identify and advocate legislation and policies which support the mission of NCDA and its members. The Government Relations Committee communicates and collaborates with NCDA committees, including the Veterans Committee and the CDF Advisory Council, and related professional organizations including the American Counseling Association, the Automation Federation and the State Directors of Career and Technical Education. Communicating with and collaborating with key federal departments, including the Departments of Education, Labor and Veterans Affairs is an important part of the Committee’s work. The Committee encourages NCDA members to become actively involved in communicating with their elected representatives, informing them of the services they provide, and of the support they need to provide those services.
LEGISLATIVE ALERTS, UPDATES & NEWS:
- October 2013 - Become Informed & Get Involved
- July 19,2013 - Support "Counseling for Career Choice"
- May 20, 2013 - Sequester Action
- December 2013 - U. S. Department of Education connections: Niel Carey, Government Relations Chair, met recently with Dr. Jonathan Brice, Deputy Assistant Secretary for elementary and secondary Education, U.S. Department of Education. The purpose of the meeting was to encourage the inclusion of references to the importance of education and career planning and counseling in U. S. Department of Education policies and statements. Dr. Brice was receptive to the suggestion and encouraged NCDA to identify best practices and programs, especially at the elementary and middle school levels. Guila Todd, ACA, Steve Voytek, Association of State Directors of CTE and Matt Kent, LobbyIt were invited and attended the meeting.
- September 2013 - Collaboration with Organizations and Advocacy Activities
- July 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- December 5, 2013. NCDA/DEPARTMENT OF LABOR MEETING.
Niel Carey, Rebecca Dedmond, Charles Lehman and Mike Marlowe, Members of the Government Relations (GR) Committee, met with representatives from the Department of Labor’s (DOL) Employment and Training Administration (ETA) and Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS). The purpose of the meeting was to share information about ongoing services and programs and to discuss areas of future cooperation focused on providing support to military veterans in their transition to meaningful civilian employment. DOL staff were informed of the CDF training, NCDA’s Veterans in Transition monograph, and opportunities for employment in areas such as automation and cybersecurity. Areas of future collaboration, including research and legislative advocacy were identified. For additional information, contact Niel Carey, NCDA GR Committee Chair or Charles Lehman, Co-Chair of the NCDA Veterans Committee.
- List of committee assignments for the 113th Congress
- Legislative Matrix - House and Senate bill status (as of 7/2013)
- Elementary and Secondary Education Act Status
- The Automation Foundation and NCDA are working together to convey the message to students, job seekers, returning Veterans, and those in career transition that pursuing a career in the automation profession can be rewarding, and is essential to the long-term viability of our nation's and the world's advanced manufacturing effort. Click here to read the current AF/NCDA Workforce Position Statement.
In this section
RESOURCES FOR MEMBERS
- Why Advocate
- Know Your Elected Officials
- Know the Issues
- Tell Your Story
- Tips for Follow Up
- Get Started Today! Here’s How